|Newly installed spiling in the winter|
Willow won't grow everywhere, it does need plenty of sunlight for example, but unlike many other trees, its roots can withstand being inundated a few times a year and will grow below the waterline.
|Spiling growing in the first summer after planting|
- Live willow spiling is always installed in winter when the willow is not in leaf
- Willow needs plenty of sun if it is to thrive
- On steep banks, spiling can be installed in tiers
- The roots of the willow, once growing, bind the bank together and prevent further erosion from high water levels
- Spiling is pronounced to rhyme with 'filing' rather than 'filling'.